First things first
- Evaluate the situation for safety. A scared, injured or sick pet may behave unpredictably. Any sudden moves may scare the animal, causing her to run into traffic or even attack you.
- If the animal looks or acts threatening, or if you feel uneasy, stay away and inform your local animal control.
- If the pet is approachable, use caution and common sense.
- Speak in a soothing voice, and reassure him.
- Make sure the animal can see you at all times as you approach, and entice her to come to you by offering a piece of food or a treat, and some water.
- If you’re able to approach and secure the animal, check for a collar tag with the pet parent’s phone number.
- If the pet is wearing one, that’s awesome! Simply contact the pet parent.